Sunday, January 1, 2012

Finish Year: Day One & Your Shape

It's been a good first day of my Finish Year!

Things left to do before the end of the day:
Straighten up the house for 15 minutes
Spend 15 minutes with God

Things I did today:
Tracked our account
Did a Your Shape workout


I'm still trying to get the hang of Your Shape and the different workouts, but so far, I LOVE IT!  At first it's a little weird to see yourself on the screen, but creepiness aside, it's a great feature.  Since Kinect makes you a part of the game, it gives you accurate feedback about how to improve and encouragement when you're doing well.  For example, I was doing some beginner yoga as a cool-down, and I was able to see if I was doing the poses correctly because my arms, legs, and torso would light up green on the screen.  SO helpful.

I also love the different activities because either it feels like a game or it distracts you from what you're really doing.  Game example: punching blocks.  You punch these blocks by punching across your body and occasionally in front of you, and it works your abs.  But it just feels like fun; you're punching blocks and the wall in the background falls down a few times.  And then you get points and medals!  I'm thinking that new high scores and achievements will be motivating and be a ton better than obsessing about the scale.  Distraction example: running the world.  I HATE running.  But in this game, you run through different cities, and it tells you about various landmarks.  So the first path is a short run through New York's financial district, and I'm not even that focused on the fact that I'm running because the game is telling me interesting facts about buildings.  Genius!  It makes running slightly less awful.

I haven't done a lot of the actual "workouts," meaning the ones focused on working your arms, legs, abs, etc.  I did one of the ab workouts, and since it required being down on the floor, it was actually pretty painful.  Perhaps some sort of yoga mat would make those workouts more bearable.

I'm so excited about using Your Shape to reach one of my Finish Year goals.  I didn't intend for this post to become such a long review of the game, but I'm loving it a ton after only two workouts with it!

No comments:

Post a Comment