Saturday, December 31, 2011

2011 Reading Challenge

As December rolled on, I was a little worried that I wouldn't reach my goal of reading 30 books in 2011, but with just a day to spare, I did it.  This is the first time that I set a reading goal like this, so I'm very excited to reach it (and if you count the hour-long short story that I listened to on the 30th, surpass it!).  You can check out what I read in 2011 here.


Seeing as how I almost didn't reach my goal, I don't want to up my goal for 2012 by too much because I want it to be challenging yet achievable.  So I'm thinking 32.  There may be a couple rereads in there (A Million Miles in a Thousand Years, for sure), but I'm definitely hoping to read more great stories, fiction and non-fiction, and more books that inspire me to grow.


You can check out some of my possible reads for 2012 here.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, girl! I am impressed!! I read Skinny Bitch this year and went vegetarian for 40 days. Eye opening. Really changed how I eat and think about food, but I don't think I'd ever go full vegetarian. What were your thoughts on it?

    The Curious Case of the Dog in the Nighttime was an odd, yet entertaining read. I also read that randomly this year.

    Ragamuffin Gospel has been on my 'To Read' list for like....years. I don't know why its been so long. I've read the first chapter like 5 different times and then, I don't know, I get distracted or something. I know its a great book, I just have a block about it.

    I received Through Painted Deserts (Donald Miller) for Christmas this year and am excited to read it. Have you read it?

    Anyway, I'm inspired and its all your fault. As soon as I'm finished here, I'm making a list of books I've been intending to read and READ them. This year. ....and I need to hide the TV remote, haha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked Skinny Bitch, and in an ideal world, I'd like to eat more organic, natural foods and cut back on meat and dairy. But really it's not something that I could do in one fell swoop. That's awesome that you went vegetarian for 40 days! I have had done a few Meat-Free Mondays (or other days of the week), but that's about it. :)

    I had mixed feelings about Ragamuffin Gospel. I listened to the audiobook, and I think that the narrator was the wrong choice for the job, so that might've had something to do with me not liking it so much. But I also struggled a lot with the content of the book. However, I feel like I'm in a different place now than I was when I originally listened to it, so I might feel differently if I read a hard copy of the book now.

    I've never read Through Painted Deserts. Well, I started it once several years ago, but I didn't get very far and I don't remember what I read, haha. I've thought about getting that audiobook before. I want the unabridged version, but it's read by the same narrator as Ragamuffin Gospel. Ironically, I love him when he reads mysteries, but after Ragamuffin, I'm not sure if I'd like him reading Donald Miller. And Donald Miller reads the abridged version, but I want the whole thing! :) He read A Million Miles, and I LOVED that. So that's my conundrum about that book... haha.

    Also, I don't want you to think I'm an awesome reading ninja because I'm totally not. Most of the books I've "read" are actually books I've listened to in the car. To me, they are pretty equal things, but my husband disagrees with me a bit. :) So I definitely have my own issues with watching too much TV and not reading enough hard-copy books... But that is something I want to change this year because I have quite a few hard-copy books on my shelf that I have yet to crack open.

    Another "also" - I TOTALLY recommend Goodreads. I love having a catalog of [almost] everything I've read and my thoughts on the books. Plus it helps me keep track of the books that I hear about randomly and think I might want to read someday. And now that I have Goodreads, I feel like I can get rid of some of my books and pass them on to others who can get some use out of them because I'll always have my virtual bookshelf and can get a book at the library if I want to reread it. Long story short, if I've successfully sold you on it and you decide to sign up, I'd love to be "friends" there too! :)

    ReplyDelete